Friday, November 29, 2013

Remember Movember

I am participating in Movember again. If you have been my friend, either on Facebook or IRL, you are aware that I have been growing this manly facial exhibit for the past several years, and many of you have donated to help "change the face of men's health" - raising money and awareness of the fight against prostate and testicular cancer. For this I thank you.

I realize that I have waited until the very end of the month to let you all know that I am participating. There are a number of circumstances behind this, including work and play taking priority in my personal life, my inability to find a team after having a team with whom I participated in the previous years disbanding. But although I have been quiet, my mustache has been doing it's part. I hope that I am not too late to be effective here, but as they say, "never late than never!"

I honestly started Movember 4 years ago as a lark, but when one of my close friends underwent treatment for testicular cancer the movement gained a whole new meaning to me. It hits home with me that every man has a responsibility to look after his own health, and I am very happy that my friend was able to discover the problem, get treatment, and continue with his fantastic life. If no one donates, I hope that my wearing this foolish patch of facial hair at least reminds other men that they need to keep things in check.

So please, help me out. Maybe you can't afford to donate, or you have already donated to someone else (if so thank you!) If not, just be aware of the cause.

More information is available on my MoSpace page, and if you want to donate there you may.



Let's make concern about this stuff a thing of the past!

***UPDATE***

People have been generous, as I knew they would be. Thank you all.

It also want to take a minute to brag a bit. Although I have not put in as much effort on this as I have in the past, I still see this as important and I have continued even though most of the friends I had as teammates have bailed out. Not all, but most. This is why Movember gives me a badge:

4 years, baby! Aw yeah!
Also, when your checkups are up to date, and your doctor says you're clean, that's a good thing too. I also have had my DNA checked (which you can read about in a previous post), and I am genetically in good shape. So, another badge:

Feeling like a Boy Scout.
Finally, I have cultivated what I believe is a pretty good mustache for a guy of fair complexion like myself. Maybe one of the best reasons to not bring it up until the end of the month was that it takes me the better part of a month to have this mustache come in. Yet I stuck with it, blond and patchy as it was, until I had what I have today. In fact, when I scored a goal in pickup hockey this week OFF MY CHIN, I'm positive that it was because my mustache was screening the goalie. I know they don't give out assists for that, but you've gotta appreciate the effort!

This is in contrast to some MoBros that start growing a beard at the beginning of Movember and then trim it into a mustache later in the month after it has grown in (*cough* Shawn Rouse *cough*). I have worn this mustache from November 1st on, including my trip to Las Vegas where it was seriously cramping my style.

So there you go. Yay me!

No comments:

Post a Comment