Monday, December 16, 2013

I Hate Midi-chlorians and Religious Fundamentalism

Now that I have "come out" as a humanist rather than as a biblical moralist, I can imagine being accused of "throwing the baby out with the bathwater." I disagree, and in fact I think it is this very tendancy to preserve things that are obviously wrong that gets us into difficulties in the first place. If people were more willing to be honest about what the text of the Bible is really saying, the words would be genuinely more useful. For my part, I am willing to say that the Bible contains truth without saying that it is truth. To help frame this all in terms that make things clearer to more people in my peer group, I'm going to discuss something more relevant to everyone: Star Wars.

It may seem odd, but a series of movies can inspire something that is almost like a religion. Star Wars is probably the greatest example, and I can confirm I was converted when I was a young'un.
I think I have the materials at home to test my own midi-chlorian level.
I expect that anyone should be able to guess that, as a boy growing up in the eighties, I was a Star Wars fan. I had a bin full of space Lego that I used to build starships, I had a Millenium Falcon, and I even slept on Star Wars bed sheets.
Gina won't let me use these now.
This all means that I have spent the adult years of my life fuming over all the things that George Lucas has been doing to destroy my fond childhood memories. First, he started mucking with the original movies, completely ruining Han Solo's swagger by having him shoot Greedo in retaliation. Then he went to work on undermining the entire series by releasing a set of prequels that thrust upon us the maddening Jar Jar Binks, the unwelcomed "Yippee!"-ing of pod-racing little kid, and the atrocious acting of Hayden Christensen. But one of the worst fouls I believe he committed was when he introduced us to midi-chlorians. For those of you that need some background, here you go:


In the first part of this video, we have the unfortunately named Qui Gon Jinn explaining to little Darth Vader, (er... Anakin Skywalker) how the Force comes from midi-chlorians. If you're like me, you find yourself wishing at this point that his cellphone would ring and that the caller would be his daughter, informing him of her present kidnapping. Unfortunately, that doesn't happen. Within an hour we are all relieved when Neeson's character dies, releasing him from this disaster before he has to do two more of them. The second part of the clip is from the original Star Wars movie, showing Obi-Wan Kenobi explaining the Force to a bratty Luke Skywalker, son of the aforementioned Anakin.

"I'm so happy to be here and not on Tatooine! I'm still going to kill you, though !"
In the original movies, there was no "pseudo-scientific" explanation for the Force - it simply is what it is. A very poetic idea, the invisible Force moves through all beings, directing them, and directed by them. Characters debate whether one should be on the Good Side, or the Dark Side, or whether the mysterious Force even exists at all. But for the viewer, there is no need for uncertainty in our minds - the narrative makes it clear to us that the Jedi way is right, and that the Dark Side is the wrong way to go. In the end we know that we are watching a movie - a work of fiction - and the suspension of disbelief is enough for us to get behind Luke and recognize the evil that the Emperor represents.

For some reason beyond imagination, Lucas must have thought that the viewers lacked faith, because he felt the need to introduce some kind of mechanics to explain this Force. An explanation that tries to sound scientific, but fails miserably to anyone that has any understanding of real science. This cheapens the experience greatly, and honestly affected my ability to buy into "the Force" from that point on.

I'll admit that I was disappointed that the romance that I had with the Force was now gone, but it is not the end of the world. After all, a motion picture, even a from a sacred franchise like Star Wars, is still a mundane thing. But thinking about this has given me an idea about something meaningful that follows a similar pattern. I see a lot of harm to be done in this world by people that honestly believe they are in the right, and these beliefs that drive them come from another mystical source - the Bible. Although most of us have moved on, apparently some people did not get the memo that the stories in it didn't really happen.

I'm not going to argue in depth for why I say this, as that would require me to explain a lot about science, archaeology, history, and literature, and textual analysis to an audience that may not be interested in any of those fields. Perhaps that can be in a future post. I think it should suffice to say that if humankind was not created only 6000 years ago in 7 days with two individuals being formed from dirt (which it wasn't), and if we acknowledge that there is no evidence of a global flood and the prohibitive difficulties of gathering all the animals of the world into a boat for a few weeks (to then let them all migrate from the Middle East, with both of the kangaroos hopping all the way across the Indian Ocean to Australia before they started making baby kangaroos), I think we can safely say that the authors of the Bible are prone to telling tales.

And what is wrong with that? Why are people so unwilling to acknowledge that? It's as if admitting that the book is not a history textbook means that it is no longer useful. Frankly, I have difficulty enjoying the Bible for this very reason. I think mythologies are fantastic, and I love the stories of Greek or Norse mythology. But I also have never had anyone threaten me that Zeus or Thor are going to strike me down with lightning. If one is to call the Bible what it really is, that person will promptly be told by some zealot that he or she is going to Hell. Hey, yeah - thanks for showing the love of Christ.

What is worse, though - and this draws me to my point - is that people feel the need to justify and add rationalizations to what is written in the Bible. Rather than simply examining it and considering a rational reading of the text, people make up the biblical equivalent of "midi-chlorians" - details that are designed to sound like real science or history to justify their irrational reading of the text. There is a whole organization called "Answers in Genesys" led by the Australian Ken Ham, that uses this pseudo-science and pseudo-history in an attempt to reconcile the narrative of the Bible with reality. Or maybe better to say to reconcile reality with the Bible, since there is a total unwillingness to modify the group's accepted interpretation of the Bible in favour of facts.
Ken Ham. Never trust a man with a chinstrap unless he is riding a horse-cart or wearing a top hat.
What is really unfortunate is the attempts to make children believe this stuff by trying to get it taught in schools. This kind of pseudo-scientific nonsense holds back public education and discourse. It prevents future researchers and medical professionals (i.e. our kids) from getting the education required to save and improve lives in the future. Additionally, the skepticism of real science caused by these ideas causes people to eschew vaccinations, and to dismiss the climate change emergency; these are things that affect us right now. AIDS is being spread in Africa because the Catholic Church takes the nearly 2000 year old words of Paul to mean they should prohibit condom use. LGBT teens are committing suicide because their peers, who have been indoctrinated with a hateful and unnatural morality, are harassing them. People with bad information have trouble shaking it, and end up making bad decisions. And this is often (dare I say frequently) by people who haven't even read the book themselves, but are relying on others to tell them what it says!

(NOTE: All of my criticisms would likely apply to the Koran, or any other book that is held up as holy. I simply am not familiar with those texts the way I am with the Bible, so I cannot discuss them in detail. However the very existence of these other ancient holy books, with their own adherents and contradictory accounts of history, should really just add to my case. )

I have trouble enjoying the Bible these days. When I read it, I am thinking about what kind of crazy ideas some other person might get from the passage I'm seeing. I worry that at the very moment, someone is doing ill to humanity because he or she believes these words are literal and directive. In Star Wars, a character would be urged to, "Use the Force!" You know what is true. When we put parameters around the Force, when the rules about how the force abides are declared, it loses it's magic. But the Force cannot be explained without invoking magic. As it is with the Bible. Do us all a favor -  do not expect the world to conform to a contrived interpretation of the foreign translation of words written in a dead language in a collection of books that was expressed in the stories and poetry and intended for peoples that have long since passed from this earth. When the text is wrong, we must admit it, we must correct it - we cannot change reality to fit. When our beliefs are wrong, we must adjust.

Unless it's the Force. We can believe in the Force; but we don't live in the Star Wars universe, we live in this one.

Feel free to tell me off for trampling on your beloved ideas. That's why I do this in the first place - I'm looking for feedback. Comments and private messages are welcome.

6 comments:

  1. Yeah, the midiclorian thing ticked me off too. The Force was what it was, in Episodes 4-6, and it worked. Why it needed to be scientificized, I dunno. I am OK with ambiguity. I don't need to understand everything. That's why I subscribe to a theistic evolution (or evolutionary creationism, either or). I don't think a literal reading of Genesis 1-11 adequately explains what we see, not do I believe that all we see around us could have just happened through known scientific processes. This position of course makes me vilified by both groups, being seen as selling out or compromising by most Christian groups, and being seen as superstitious and antiquated by the other side. Buuuuut it is what it is - it's where I am at. Keep writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't want to say that there is no place where a literal reading of the Bible makes sense. When the happenings line up with established historical or scientific fact, then the Bible is helpful as a source. But over all, Christians have a vested interest in believing the Bible, and are therefore too wuick to accept what is written as accurate. This makes them susceptible to accepting very wrong ideas about our world. They will often spend time analyzing the implications of a story and applying those implications, when it would be more effective to were simply accept it as fiction. Personally, I now take the approach that when it sounds implausible, then it probably didn't happen as described, and not that I am just not interpreting it correctly.

      I can't expect every person to take a critical approach to study of the Bible, but in general those who most need to (i.e. believers) are the ones who do it least. I know this because I spent many years with all kinds of irrational beliefs, not because I could not assess the veracity of the Bible's claims, but simply because my default was to believe. In Christian circles, no one bothers to ask the question "does this really make sense?"

      The Genesis account of creation is a great story to use as a litmus test. Many believers understand that the world was not created in 6 literal days; you need to be very dedicated to biblical literalism to deny what we have discovered in past couople of centuries. However, your average Christian does not understand that the Genesis story is woven together from multiple literary traditions (i.e. multiple stories, multiple authors), and that the creation events happen out of sequence with established science (unless you think the land produced vegetation before there were stars in the sky). It's not just a figurative description, but it is an _inaccurate_ figurative description. To me, I don't see how one can reasonably assume that God authored this, unless He forgot how He did it before He managed to write it down ;)

      My contention is with the idea that the books of the Bible are inerrant and divine - if this were true, wouldn't the text be written better? It is this assumption that leads to all kinds of craziness.

      As a Christian pastor, I don't expect you to climb out on THAT limb with me, but you have to see where I am coming from. I do think it is telling that for applying a degree of common sense you are branded as a maverick in your community.

      Delete
  2. There are lots of examples where science actually backs up some of the Bible stories, for example many ancient cultures including the Hopi of the American south-west, and the indigenous Australian tribes have "myths" relating to a great flood. The tsunami that devastated South Pacific in 2004 could have easily been interpreted as a "great flood" by cultures that lacked the science to explain what happened. The plant Dictamnus, which grows in the Middle East and is covered in a flammable oil, and can sometimes be ignited by heat from the sun could certainly explain "the burning bush". The Red Sea actually has a reef covered with reeds and it has been documented that when the wind blows in a certain direction, it becomes shallow enough to cross by foot. If you have ever played the game of Telephone with friends, it is easy to see how a grain of truth in these stories, repeated and repeated over generations, could become the basis for many of the books of the Bible...I'm pretty sure that in hindsight they would have made great analogies for someone who had a specific point to get across.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1. There exist real floods.
      2. The Bible records a story of a flood.
      3. Science confirms the Bible.

      Do you see the problem in that line of reasoning? But I don't think that's really what you are trying to say.

      The Noachian story is pretty specific about God destroying all living things (at least all animal life) - why else put them on all a boat? Yet geological evidence is pretty conclusive that there has never been a worldwide flood.

      As for the Moses stories, we could guess that the pillar of fire/cloud that he was following seems like a volcano, and there are numerous possible explanations for a burning bush, or the crossing of a sea. But if the Egyptians, who were pretty meticulous in their record-keeping, have not left any trace of an Israelite exodus for archeologists to find, then why does it matter? The fact that dry oily plants can burn says nothing about the veracity of Moses' story. That's kind of like saying that Shakespeare was a historian because modern scholars agree that there actually were merchants in Venice in his time.

      NOVA did a great piece about 5 years ago investigating the Bible stories of Israel from an archeological and historical perspective. If you have a couple of hours to kill, its a good show: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/ancient/bibles-buried-secrets.html

      You are correct with the telephone game analogy - all the biblical stories spent a lot of time being passed down orally, in some cases for decades, maybe centuries. But I think we often overestimate how much truth remains after so much time (or even how big the "grain of truth" actually was to start with).

      Delete
    2. Oh, and the NOVA documentary is narrated by Liev Shreiber. *swoons*

      Delete
    3. I will check that out. You are correct, you have done a much better job of explaining my point than I did! Since I do not believe in a creator or the bible in any fashion, it is kind of ironic that I find myself schooled on the science I have come to believe in. As always, well written and informative! Can't wait for the book.

      Delete