Monday, March 24, 2014

Happy Murph-day to me

I had a quick second thought when Elias asked to borrow a mouse. I have a bluetooth mouse that I use with my work laptop, I could let him use that, but how does that affect bluetooth pairings? I decided that things should be fine, and handed him the mouse.

This is how I ended up spending the morning of my birthday fighting to get my laptop to recognize my mouse. I rebooted, I reinstalled, I replaced batteries. But, like a jealous girlfriend who finds out she's been cheated on, my laptop refused to talk to the mouse. 

Add in an unexpected pre-coffee meeting with my boss; one that I did not know about in part because of the aforementioned PC issue, and a daylong battle with the server that i am supposed to be working with (thanks, IBM!), I had a less than productive birthday in the office. In fact, aside from treating myself to a fantastic lunch and pint at the Alehouse (where I was served by and had a great conversation with the ever-charming Mr. Eric Scouten), most of the my day seemed to follow Murphy's Law.

Especially those who went to my birthday brunch on Sunday will understand. 

Even so, taking the longer view of today I have to smile. I have a beautiful wife who made me a lovely dinner, I have a bit of time this evening before I go play hockey, and I will be sure to have a good sleep when I get home. But I also have a load of friends who have been messaging me all day to wish me well. At 41 (holy crap!) knowing that so many people want to tell me they care means a lot, even if I don't always show the same kind of Facebook friendliness to all of them.   

Last year, given that my age was such a round number, my wife put on the greatest birthday party in history for me. If you were there, you know what I mean. I don't expect to get a present like that every year; in fact, I really don't expect it ever again. But I do love that every day I have people around me who do small things to make me feel special.

Thank you all for your well wishes. They mean a lot. And please let me know if you can fix my bluetooth mouse. That would be the best present :)

1 comment:

  1. lessoned learned.....you should always schedule you b-day off work! :-)

    ReplyDelete