Tuesday, August 12, 2014

I sound my barbaric YAWP over the rooftops of the world.

I ended up working from home this week, because I ruptured my eardrum last week. This injury sucks, but this does mean that I can watch TV while I sit on my couch with my laptop doing my work (yes, I am still doing my work, smartass). Given the our great loss yesterday, I saw it only fit to make the subject of my viewing one of my favorite movies of all time, "Dead Poet's Society".

To be fair, it has been many years since I last watched the film, but I remembered what a profound effect it had on me as a young man and a student of literature, and it was the first thing I thought about when heard that Robin Williams had passed away.

I was a bit overwhelmed, although not surprised by the outcry on Facebook and Twitter over the news. No matter who we are, we can all name a character that he played that reached us at a deep level at some point in out lives. Maybe it's Patch Adams, or maybe Adrian Cronauer, or even the Genie from Aladdin. Robin Williams found a way to put some expression into every role he played that was irresistible. Of course I never met Robin Williams, and now I never will - but I felt like he was my family because of the way his characters seemed so real to me.



"You got to suffer if you want to sing the blues." - David Bromberg

Robin Williams was so compelling because even as a comedian, with the frantic, spinning, gut-paining joy he made us all feel, there was a sadness that could not be hidden. Not a bitter sadness, but the sweet pain of a wounded man who smiles anyway to make you happy, and to let you know it is alright.

It is no secret that Robin Williams struggled. He fought with drugs. He battled with depression. Robin was a man hovering over a cliff for his entire life. I am sad that he's gone, but my consolation is that he held on as long as he did. We could have never had the great legacy of work that we do, performances that have touched us all. But we do. Yet that seems to make us even more sad - or better yet, morose.

I know I am late in offering my tribute to this man. Today, things move at internet speed, and a eulogy must even be delivered as the corpse is still warm. I can't compete with that, but I can at least offer my most heartfelt condolences to all who need them. But I will not cry too long for Robin Williams (although I may cry again watching this stupid movie. Damn you, Robin Williams and your constant tug on my heartstrings!). It is the same thing that took him away from us that made us love him. Rather than mourn his passing, I will rejoice that we had him for so long, and I will try to - in his honour - help all of those who feel that they cannot continue the fight. Because the fight is real, and it is worth it.


Carpe Diem, my friends.

UPDATE:

Here are a few other pieces about Robin Williams that I found especially profound.

Robin's daughter, Zelda writes a post.

Norm McDonald tweeted out on his timeline.

Russel Brand.

Daniel Fincke from Camel with Hammers


No comments:

Post a Comment